Hey guys, here is the recipe I used for last night’s dinner. Very simple and take about 3 hours total from start to finish! I recommend serving them with some sort of starch and everyone’s favorite definitely seems to be mashed potatoes. All you need is a dutch oven, chef’s knife, cutting board and wooden spoon to cook these.
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 nicely sized boneless beef short ribs
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion – chopped
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 2 carrots – chopped
- 2 celery stalks – chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 1 pint of Guinness
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 380*
- Chop your vegetables
- Over medium-high heat, drizzle oil in your dutch oven. With the oil hot, sear all sides of your short ribs (DO NOT COOK, JUST BROWN THEM). Be sure to let them get a nice crust. Your oil must be hot!
- Remove the meat from the pan when done. Add the garlic and onion, scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan (use a WOODEN spoon). I lower the heat a bit here as to not burn the garlic. Burnt garlic tastes awful!
- Add the carrots and celery and cook for about 5 minutes! Scrape the bottom of the pan once again, ensuring you get all of the brown bits up. I usually semi-cover the pan here.
- Add one cup of the beef stock, scraping the bottom again. Then add the meat back to the pan.
- Add the remaining beef stock and the Guinness. Drop in the thyme and rosemary. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Let the dutch oven simmer for about 20 minutes, uncovered.
- Place the duct oven into the oven covered! Cook at 380* for roughly 2 hours.